Exemption from Employment Permit

1.  The following foreign nationals are exempted from Employment Permit:

(1)  Foreign technical experts and managerial staffs directly recruited and paid by the Chinese Government and those who are recruited and paid by national authorities and public institutions, and hold Foreign Expert Certificates issued by the Bureau of Foreign Expert Affairs.

(2)  Laborers with foreign nationalities who hold a Permit for Foreign Nationals to Engage in Offshore Oil Operations in the People’s Republic of China do not need to come ashore but must possess special skills.

2.  Note for Residence Permit

(1) A foreign national who wishes to stay or reside in China after his or her visa or residence permit expires should apply for an extension of said visa or residence permit before it expires.

(2) During his or her residence in China, if a foreign national is found to carry a disease which would have disqualified him or her from entry into China, the Chinese health authority may request the public security authority to order the foreign national to leave China before his or her residence permit expires.

(3) A foreign national who has settled down in a certain area in China and wishes to relocate elsewhere in China should apply for a relocation approval with the public security authority bureau of his or her intended destination, and complete the relocation formalities according to the procedures set forth in the preceding paragraph.

(4) To protect national security, public order or other public interests, public security bureaus at the city and district levels may prohibit foreign nationals and foreign organizations from setting up residences and offices in certain areas.

(5) Parents of a foreign baby born in China or their appointed agent should initiate registration formalities with the local public security bureau by presenting the baby’s birth certificate within one month of the baby’s birth.

(6) The family of a foreign national who dies in China or the appointed custodian or their agent, should present the death certificate and surrender the residence permit or visa of the deceased to the local public security authority bureau within three days of the death for cancellation.

(7) Foreign nationals aged 16 and upwards who stay or reside in China should carry the originals of their residence permits or passports with them at all times and present them for inspection when required to do so.